What are Hormones?
Google search “Hormone Imbalance” and you'll get 29 million results. With the questions “What are the signs of hormone imbalance?”, “How do you fix hormonal imbalances?” and “What are the most common hormonal imbalances?” being the top searched questions. Clearly, we are a population struggling with our hormones.
Before diving deeper into a discussion on hormones, let’s get a basic understanding of what they are and why they are important. Hormones are chemical messengers produced by the glands and organs of the endocrine system. The endocrine system is the body system that regulates the relationship between different organs and hormones.
Some of the main hormone producing glands and organs are the thyroid, adrenals, pituitary, ovaries, testicles and pancreas. The whole endocrine system works in harmony to control the levels of hormones circulating in the body. Hormones target and interact with specific cells by binding to their hormone receptors. Hormones are foundational for good health and play a key role in your body’s daily functions.
Now, let’s answer those top hormone questions.
Symptoms of Hormone Imbalance
Some of the most commons symptoms associated with a hormonal imbalance are:
· Sleep Disorders
· Anxiety, Depression and Mood Swings
· Persistent Acne
· Brain Fog and Poor Memory
· Low Libido, Decreased Fertility, and Irregular Menstrual Cycles
· Digestive Complaints
· Headaches and Migraines
· Loss of Muscle Tone
You would be hard-pressed to find an adult today not struggling with one of those issues. Although hormonal imbalances are predominantly thought of as a women’s health issue, all the complaints, outside of irregular menstrual cycles, apply to both genders. Hormone health is of universal importance as is Biomagnetism's ability to balance them.
Most Common Hormonal Imbalances
The endocrine system produces 50 different hormones, all vital for maintaining homeostasis. An imbalance in any of those hormones can have a profound impact on your well-being. The five hormones listed are the ones most commonly imbalanced in both men and women.
Estrogen is one of the primary sex hormones in women. It is responsible for the physical changes during puberty, regulating menstrual cycles and supporting bones, as well as the heart and mood during pregnancy. While men also have estrogen, they secrete smaller amounts and are affected differently than women. In both sexes, estrogen helps to regulate cholesterol and bone health.
Cortisol is produced in the adrenal glands and helps regulate blood sugar, metabolism, inflammation and memory formation. It is often called the ‘stress hormone,’ because it is released during times of stress or crisis resulting in the temporary shut down of digestion and reproduction.
Although generally thought to be only a female hormone progesterone is also found in men. For women, progesterone is crucial in menstruation and supporting the early stages of pregnancy. For men, progesterone helps support fertility and balances the effects of estrogen on the body.
Testosterone is the main sex hormone in men. It supports the physical changes during puberty, such as deepening of the voice and growth of the genitals, hair and muscles. While women also have testosterone, they secrete smaller amounts and are affected differently than men. In women, testosterone supports bone health and reproductive tissue.
Probably one of the more well know hormones, insulin is produced by the pancreas. It allows muscles, fat and the liver to absorb glucose. Insulin is also used to breakdown fat and protein. Both of those roles are used to maintain healthy blood sugar levels.
How to Balance Hormones
There are numerous ways to correct hormone imbalances ranging from stress management, dietary changes, reducing exposure to toxins, hormone replacement therapy, changing prescription medications and many more. In this post, I will be teaching you the main ways Biomagnetism can help hormonal imbalances.
1. Support the Gland – Biomagnetism helps support glands by providing the proper environment and supplying the proper food. Glands, like all organs, have a very specific pH environment required to function optimally. During a Biomagnetic Pair Therapy session a practitioner can detect an unhealthy shift in the pH of the gland’s environment. The pH is then brought into proper range by the specific placement of magnets.
To be properly fed, a gland needs adequate blood flow and oxygenation. Biomagnetism achieves this by reducing the Rouleaux Effect. The Rouleaux Effect is when red blood cells “stick together” to form chains and stacks, negatively impacting their ability to transport oxygen throughout the body. Once properly fed and supported, glands are better able to perform their job of maintaining healthy hormone levels.
2. Detoxification – One of the biggest hormone struggles is an excess of hormones. Processed food, alcohol, stress, common toxins and medications can all contribute to an excess of circulating hormones. How does the body remove excess hormones? Through detoxification. Biomagnetism helps to support and stimulate the major organs of detoxification, mainly the liver, urinary tract and gut. I discuss this in depth on my Detoxification page.
3. Addressing underlying emotional causes of stress – Stress is one of the key contributors to hormonal imbalances. When we are under stress, we produce cortisol thereby shutting down digestion and reproduction. Normally, this is a temporary spike in cortisol, but modern life has us living in a constant state of high stress and elevated cortisol. Through Biomagnetism we downregulate the sympathetic stress response and bring individuals into a state of rest and digest. A skilled therapist can also address underlying emotional triggers and traumas contributing to an exaggerated stress response.
Ready to give Biomagnetism try? You can easily learn how to use Biomagnetism at home, effectively helping yourself and all the members of your family. My Resource Gallery contains dozens of simple and effective Biomagnetic protocols. Watch any of the brief videos and I'll guide you through using Biomagnetism to address your most common health issues, including hormonal imbalances. Balancing your hormones can seem overwhelming, but it does not have to be. Together we can balance your hormones.